I’ve read a lot of people who are ‘tired’ after the fight with SOPA, but remember: the fight for civil liberties NEVER really ends. It’s tireless, and yes, it might seem unfair, but at least we live in a time when you can wage battle with a keyboard and not with a musket.
LET’S TALK ABOUT WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT ACTA.
Find the right petitions, spread the information. It’s better than nothing. Here’s five things you CAN do if you can’t find a good petition or cannot contact the proper representatives:
1. Spread information. Find data online, and share it with others.
2. Make sure to tag things properly. The information is only good if it can be found.
3. Cross platforms. Spread information through different mediums. Check for twitter hashtags and USE them.
4. Look for the strongest petitions online. Direct all possible attention to the ones which are: (a) official or directed at government bodies, or (b) have the largest amount of signatures. SHARE these petitions. Make posts listing the strongest ones.
5. Research, research, research! Just google the latest news on ACTA and make a post about it on all the networks you can.
6. Talk about it. Talk about it in your workplace, on the way to work, with friends, with family. Every person you inform is one potential head in a network that will further spread the word of discontent.
7. Give it at LEAST 10 minutes of your every day to find out the latest about ACTA, and sign new petitions if they come up.
Remember these THREE BASIC ARGUMENTS against ACTA:
1. It was discussed in secret.
2. ACTA will affect BASIC liberties and civil rights, such as privacy and freedom of speech. There is NO economic benefit or tradeoff from ANY law that can compensate this. Ever.
3. ACTA is practically GLOBAL. And if you feel safe because your country didn’t sign an agreement, remember, countries can always jump on board with them later.
WAYS TO HELP FOR ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE:
Are you or do you know a DESIGNER? Make information about ACTA easier to divulge and assimilate. Present it properly so that the message is communicated BETTER.
Are you or do you know a LAWYER? Help others understand the contents of ACTA by putting it in layman’s terms.
Are you or do you know a BLOGGER? Put information about ACTA on your blog.
Are you or do you know a JOURNALIST? Get the information off the net and onto regular channels, such as television or radio. There’s still plenty of ground to cover.
Are you anything else? An engineer? An animator? A musician? A doctor? ACTA CONCERNS YOU and the liberty you have to research material for your workplace or distribute your artistic creations.
IMPORTANT: REBLOG THIS POST AS TEXT, NOT AS A LINK. MAKE IT EASIER FOR OTHERS TO READ IT.
HERE’S HOW TO CONTACT THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT: